Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Artifact 3.2 Exploring Pottery Lesson

Maria Sideri
Lesson Plan
Part 1 of 2 Lessons

Grade Level: 1 & 2
Date: October 26, 2011
Time: 10am-11am
Subject Area: Social Studies-Native Americans

Massachusetts History and Social Science Curriculum Frameworks:
3.12 Explain how objects or artifacts of everyday life in the past tell us how ordinary people lived and how everyday life has changed.

Materials Used:
Chart Paper
Book (First Pottery, USKids History: Book of American Indians by Marlene Smith Baranzini and Edward Egger-Bovet)
Worksheet
3 Pottery Artifacts

Learning Goal:
To explore and understand how pottery among the Native Americans is made and how it is used.

Objectives:
Students will be able to recognize what pottery is and that it is made from clay made from the earth. Students will also be able to draw their own pottery and determine its use.

Prerequisite Knowledge:
Students need to have an idea of Native Americans in the sense that they should know that Native Americans use natural materials as tools and for common, everyday uses.

Assessment:
I will know that the students have reached the learning goal of this lesson when they can complete the worksheet I created. This means that they will be able to draw a pottery pot of their own, and explain what it is made from, and what it is used for.

Implementation:

1.I will introduce the 3 pottery items that I made that were inspired by Native American pottery. I will first ask the students if they know what I’m holding. I will guide them to answer that I’m holding pottery. I will then tell the students that we are going to explore what Native American pottery is all about. (10:00-10:05)

2.I will then tell the students I am going to pass around (or walk around and let them see closely) the three pottery pieces. I will ask the students to think about what these pieces feel like, how much they weigh, and what are some of the shapes they see in these pots, and what they think the pottery pieces are made from (what natural material). I will have the categories up on the chart paper. The students will then pass around the pieces. (10:05-10:10)
3.I will then ask the students about the texture, weight, and shape of these pots, and what natural material they believe these pots are made from. I will record the students’ answers (2-3 answers in each section). (10:10-10:15)

4.I will then explain to the students that to understand more about pottery that the Native Americans used, lets listen to a story by the Hopi tribe, and listen to how they made pottery and which type of pottery they created. I will write the key words that they should know before on the chart paper. These key words include the Hopi, Talatawi, Cho’ro, canyon, coil.

5.I will then read the short story entitled, First Pottery. (10:15-10:25)

6.After the story I will take comments; ask how if they can answer these three questions:
a.What was their pottery pieces made out of?
b.Where did they find this?
c.How did they make their pieces?
d.What is it used for? (This is the part we will explore!) (10:25-10:35)

7.I will then ask the students what they believe Talatawi and Cho’ro will use their pots for. I will take three examples to get the students brainstorming idea. I will then tell the students that they will create their own pottery pots by drawing a picture, and writing what it will be used for.

8.I will send them to their tables and they will complete the worksheet. (10:35-10:50)

9.We will then come back together on the rug as a group and discuss what the students drew, and what they were going to use the pots for. I will explain that next week, we are actually going to create these pots (using molding magic) and use symbols to represent their uses! (10:50-11:00)

Differentiated Instruction:
I anticipate that some of the students, specifically the first grade students, might have trouble thinking abstractly about the uses for their pots. Therefore, I will mix the tables with first and second graders in order for the students to share their ideas with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment